Milton Keynes, 28 January, 2012 - Andreas Mikkelsen marked a brief return to SKODA with a crowd-pleasing second place finish on the Lapland Arctic Rally in Finland (25-26 Jan).
Driving the same Fabia S2000 that took him to victory on the 2011 Cyprus Rally, Andreas entered the event as part of preparations for his 2013 WRC programme with Volkswagen Motorsport.
With the thermometer little more than -24c for most of the two-day Rovaniemi-based event, Andreas and co-driver Mikko Markkula faced a tough battle against a host of local drivers who started the winter classic with considerably more experience of the stages.
With the event regulations favouring Group N cars, many of which enjoyed a 100bhp advantage over Andreas’s PrintSport-run S2000-specification Fabia, the double-IRC champion had to drive at his very best to stay ahead of the pack.
Fastest times on four of the opening day’s five stages gave Andreas a slim lead at the end of the first leg. However, his advantage was short-lived when his Fabia S2000 picked up a puncture on the opening stage of the second leg. The loss of four minutes to change the tyre dropped Andreas and Mikko down to eighth.
With nothing to lose, Andreas threw everything into the four remaining stages, clawing back time and giving the crowds plenty to cheer. At final service, leader Juha Salo was forced to change a gearbox, picking up time penalties that set up a thrilling final two stages. Despite pushing to the maximum on the fast, snow-covered stages, it proved a challenge too far for the young Norwegian, who was unable to overturn the time deficit. After 10 action-packed stages, Salo took victory by just 1m 37s.
Despite missing out on top honours, Andreas thoroughly enjoyed being reunited with his Fabia S2000: “This has been a great rally and being back in the SKODA feels like coming home. We had to fight hard the last two days – some of the stages are crazy fast – but we have had great fun.”
Andreas continues his preparations for 2013 with another Fabia S2000 outing on the Finnskog Rally in Norway this weekend (2 Feb).
- ŠKODA UK achieved a record 2012 with registrations of more than 53,000 and a market share of 2.6%.
- ŠKODA UK had a record year in the fleet sector in 2012 with registrations of more than 23,500, and a market share of 2.3%.
- In 2012, ŠKODA received 19 major awards for its outstanding products and excellent customer service.
- ŠKODA has been in the top ten of the J.D. Power Survey of Customer Satisfaction for the past 20 years.
- ŠKODA Motorsport repeated its double win in 2012 as IRC Drivers’ & Manufacturers’ Champions, with Andreas Mikkelsen bringing home the IRC Drivers’ title for ŠKODA UK Motorsport in a factory–prepared Fabia Super 2000.
For more information, please contact:
Catherine Sleigh, Head of Press and PR, +44-1908 548 042 / +44-7710 331 389; firstname.lastname@example.org
Pietro Panarisi, Media Relations Manager, +44-1908 548 060 / +44-7814 674 661; email@example.com
This news release (and illustration) is issued in accordance with Clause 1.2j of the British Codes of Advertising and Sales Promotion and therefore cannot be the subject of a transaction of any kind.